Working toward my scrapping goal

20 November 2008

Captcha or moderation?

Okay, I have an issue. It's not a very important one, IMO, but some bloggers and blog-readers out there seem to think it's a bigger issue than I do, and since I ran across it today I really wanted to explore it.

My issue:
Captcha (i.e. word verification) or comment moderation?

My thoughts:
I don't read a huge number of blogs, and when I do, word verification isn't an issue for me. I absolutely do not mind having to verify that I'm not a robot, and I certainly appreciate the reason people have Captcha on (it's also why I tend to use it). I've been spammed insanely before, and I cannot imagine having to moderate every single one of those comments, especially when a "robot" gets really busy. You might be surprised at how quickly those spam messages can add up once they have your number, so to speak.

I blog because I feel 1) like gabbing and 2) sharing my thoughts. You don't have to read my blog, and you certainly don't have to comment. While I love having comments, I don't need them to verify or justify my blogging; I do it for me, mostly. (Again, I do appreciate those who read my blog!! Please don't think I don't.) For me it's about the convenience of my own blogging rather than the readers, and that's probably primarily because I myself don't mind having to enter in Captcha. It's not because I don't treasure you, my readers.

But to give the comment moderation a try, I have it set to deliver notifications to me when someone comments, so that I can approve, or not, of the comments. One other reason I dislike comment moderation is that I feel like, when it's not a scrapbooking-related blog, that if my comments aren't liked by the blogger, they won't be posted. I can promise you that unless something is completely lewd and unacceptable, I will always allow the comments by people, even when I don't agree with what they say. I don't always believe that others will do the same. Know what I mean?

Anyway, there is it. You'll notice a new set up when you go to post (for those of you who have posted before), but you definitely won't see me supporting that new "Say No to Word Verification" movement, if you wish to call it that. I don't have a problem with people wanting to verify, and I certainly think that if a blog-reader really wants to post, then they'll be willing to go along with it. Sometimes it's not possible for the blogger to keep up with comments because their reader base is much too large to have to approve every single comment posted. (I obviously don't have that problem, and likely won't ever. *waves to her 2 followers and few other readers* *smoochies*)

But it's your call, bloggers. You do as you will.

Happy scrapping!


7 comments:

Christy said...

I moderate too. I don't 'think' I use captcha...maybe I should check on that. I do it because of spam. On three occassions I got spam in the form of clickable links and of course I removed them, but if god-forbid one of my 2 or 3 readers (LOL) were to click on it thinking it was legit I would have felt terrible. Especially if I couldn't get to my blog for a while to see/remove it. :)

myself said...

*waving back and smooching, too*

I agree with you! I don't moderate before they post, but I certainly do moderate if it is completely inappropriate or a bot. So far, I haven't really had a problem... but... then again, don't have very many readers *wink*! I see one of them is one of yours, too!

I haven't checked into any of it... don't even know if you have to use Captcha to post on mine... hmmm... maybe I should check...

Anyway, I love your sense of humor and your thoughts/comments on anything you say do. You are very witty and very fun(ny) to read! Thanks!

Mamawheelie said...

*blush* Thanks! Y'know... my first website, which I wouldn't necessarily recommend everyone explore, has this very strange "summary" of myself:
http://www.geocities.com/justforfuntonite/me.html

Just, um, know that it's a bit strange, and that I wrote it several years ago. *grin*

myself said...

I really think that summary is good... very... uh... imaginative... Seriously makes me envision it all.

BTW... how funny! I had come to your site so I could CP you to my blog, and all the while you were commenting on my blog, as well. Thanks! At least we know we read each other's... lol!

Mamawheelie said...

I thought I'd left a comment before, because I really try to do that so people know that someone's looking at their blog. (That's a hint. What it really means is that I like to know that people are reading mine. LOL)

Captain Scrappy said...

I do have word verification on my blog too.... I don't see the big deal having to enter in a few characters in order to comment on someone's blog. I hate having to put in my username and password more than I mind the word verification. LOL
(and I do have my comp. set to remember my username, but sometimes it resets it)

Mamawheelie said...

Ugh. I hate having to enter in my email addy/pword, too! And with my browser, except for the comment approval login, it doesn't remember my information. Or rather, it remembers it, but also remembers anyone else's no matter how long ago (or so it seems) and never automatically logs me in. Argh!